Le Pont Neuf, literally the New Bridge is the oldest standing bridge in Paris, although not the first one. It links the Left Bank, the Cité island and the Right Bank. Henry II wanted to build it in 1550, but it was too expensive at that time. Finally it was finished in 1607 during the reign of Henry IV. In the original plan they wanted to build houses on the bridge, as it was common at that time, but Henry IV decided against, as the houses would impede a clear view from the Louvre. The bridge didn't change much since the 17th century, apart from the transformation from hump-backed bridge to a flat one. The bridge was renovated recently for its 400th anniversary from 1999 to 2007.