Monday, October 17, 2011

Arc de Triomphe





Classic. Well, architecturally speaking it’s neoclassic. The Arc de Triomphe is one of the most visited monuments in Paris, built in the beginning of the 19th century in honor of the people fighting and dying for France during the French Revolutinary- and the Napoleonic wars. It is located in the western end of the famous Avenue des Champs Elysées, on the star-shaped Place Charles de Gaulle. You can get there by metro line 1, 2 and 6; RER A and bus lines 22, 30, 31, 52, 73 and 92.

From the top you can have a stunning view on the avenues starting from this point. It is one of the three famous arches of the city’s historical axis longing from the Louvre to the modern business district, La Défense.

Funny story. When I first visited the Arc de Triomphe in 2000, I was part of a tourist group, therefore my freetime was limited. It was more of a let’s-visit-the-museums-and-churches type of tour, but I - being a 16-year-old girl - was also quite interested in the famous Avenue de Champs Elysées. I desperately wanted to own any kind of clothing from this shopping area. Unlucky for me, I had no clue at that time which way should I run to get my trophy. I had 10 minutes! Arc de Triomphe was behind me, I chose to go to the left, as I didn’t really find anything in the beginning of the avenue. Of course, this is the investment banking area. I was quite disappointed. Finally I found a shop, took the first purple knitted gilet (vest) I saw, paid for it quickly and ran back to our bus. It was good size, and in the end I was a very happy owner of a real French garment from the Champs Elysées. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment